Important notice, 29 March 2022
Our service is now available. You may now use our order form to request images from the British Library collections. Thank you for your patience.
ProcessYou can order images of British Library collection items by completing our order form.
Following the reopening of our digitisation service we are experiencing an unprecedented number of requests. This will adversely affect the time it takes to process your request. Please bear with us while we work very hard to fulfil each order we receive. If your order is time sensitive and you are unable to wait, contact us to cancel your order’
You will need the following information:
- The British Library shelfmark of the items you would like to order from our catalogues. If you can't find the item you need our Reference Enquiry Team would be delighted to help you locate it in our collections.*
- The title of the items you want to order.
- The page or folio numbers you would like us to scan or photograph.
- In the case of folios, please state whether front, back (or both) is required. Unlike pages, these have the same number for both sides of the leaf. The front is called 'recto' and is often abbreviated as r or a. The back of the leaf is called 'verso' and is usually abbreviated as v and sometimes referred to as b.
- When ordering manuscripts, the page numbers are identified by the pencil markings on the top of the page. Some manuscripts may contain further numbering, please ignore these and use the pencil markings.
- The format:
- Digital image for reference: this means that your image will be produced from scanning the original item. If your order is from a precious or rare item, it may need expert photography. If this is the case, we will contact you.
- Digital image for reproduction: this means that your image will be photographed and reproduced in high quality. You can use the image as required, including for reproduction and publication, as long as you have the right permissions.
- Your payment details: credit or debit card details or British Library business account.
- Additional information: for example please state if ‘picture only’ is required. Please note, where a surrogate exists scans will be taken from the microfilm and will be in black and white. If colour is required please add this request to the additional information.
- How you want your order delivered. (NB our standard method of delivery is electronic. If you require another format please contact us.
*Please note that there are some restrictions on what and how we can copy items from our collection. You should also check how you can use the images you order from us to make sure that you will have the permission to use your images in the way you want. There may be copyright in the images we supply. If you would like to reproduce copies of these images, please contact our Permissions department for more information.
Once you have placed your order we will contact you by email or phone if there are any questions or issues relating to your order.
If you require any further information please contact us.