Join our panel of experts to learn how Black entrepreneurs are building empires online by using their influence and creativity.
This event is taking place at the British Library and will be live streamed online.
For those joining us in person, the event will be followed by a networking reception with drinks and canapés, where you can meet the speakers, as well as other attendees. There will also be the opportunity to enter a prize draw with prizes donated by the speakers.
For those joining us online, the panel and talk will run from 18.00 – 20.00
You will hear from six inspiring entrepreneurs at various stages in their careers and across a range of industries, as our panel come together to discuss the considerations they took into account when building their businesses and the insights they have learnt along the way.
Whether you are just thinking about starting a business, a business owner who wants to learn more, or perhaps you wish to establish a stronger network, you’ll leave this event feeling inspired and engaged.
On the day, you can expect to:
- Learn how the Black Lives Matter movement prompted the rise in Black enterprises and powered increased support for them
- Understand the financial reality of starting a business in today’s changing market
- Explore Black-owned businesses in theatre and the arts and the importance of representation on the stage
- Recognise the power of the Black pound and how to convert this knowledge into assets for the Black economy
- Learn about the importance of social media for building Black businesses.
Following this will be an engaging and thought-provoking Fireside Chat – a discussion on community building with Black Pound Day founder and So Solid Crew member, Swiss.
On the panel will be:
- Rachael Twumasi-Corson, CEO and Founder of Afrocenchix Ltd. At 19 Rachael co-founded Afrocenchix, an award-winning ethical start-up that creates safe, effective, vegan certified products for Afro & curly hair.
- Emmanuel Asuquo, founder of The Eman Effect UK, is a renowned, financial adviser, media personality, wealth building entrepreneur and international speaker.
- TJ Atkinson is a Property Investor, who specialises in transforming homes into beautiful, creative masterpieces. Alongside growing his portfolio, TJ supports people in his community with getting started in property.
- Indie Gordon is Head of Program at Foundervine and founder of Halo safety app. She aims to empower today's and tomorrow's companies, ensuring they’re tech-enabled and can weather the storm of any social, economic or environmental change.
- The panel will be moderated by Khai Shaw, co-founder of the theatre company Nuu Theatre. Khai has collaborated with the English Touring Theatre Company and the Bush Theatre.
- Swiss is the founder of Black Pound Day, the UK's biggest economic movement that supports Black-owned businesses. He is a cultural influencer, business leader, author, and highly acclaimed musician and member of So Solid Crew. Alongside his passion for music, Swiss founded the Black Pound Day movement to support awareness and growth of the Black businesses and economy in the UK and global diasporic communities. Recently, Swiss opened the first permanent retail store at Westfield London, Europe's biggest shopping centre, and continues to actively support hundreds of businesses across the country.
- The chat will be moderated by Jacqueline Brown, BIPC Business Support Programming Manager, serial entrepreneur and founder of businesses Africa Fashion Guide, Wax and Wraps and M.O.R.Empire. Since 2011, Jacqueline has helped start-ups to build and launch sustainable fashion businesses from scratch with coaching, digital tools, community and connections.
|Name:||Inspiring Entrepreneurs: Building the Black Economy|
Business & IP Centre
The British Library
96 Euston Road
Show map How to get to the Library
|When:||, 18.00 - 21.00|