Aimed at exporters this workshop gives an overview of intellectual property both at home and abroad
Foreign trade has been a cornerstone of the British economy and roughly 1 in 5 small UK businesses export. Exporters achieve 59% faster productivity growth than non-exporters.
Along with great possibilities exporting can also bring a number of problems and issues. Understanding these issues is key to making the most out of exporting. One of those key issues to get right is intellectual property.
Businesses create and use intellectual property (IP) all the time, perhaps without realising it. The value of your intellectual property whether it’s a trade mark, patent, design, copyright or trade secret can far outweigh the value of your physical assets.
This workshop will explore the world of IP both at home and abroad and go through some of the key benefits and pitfalls of IP when exporting.
Participants on this course will be able to:
- Describe the different types of IP and identify them within their business.
- Understand the different between registered and unregistered rights
- See the important and value of IP to their business
- Understand the IP rights are territorial so different countries can have different regulations
- Explain the different routes and mechanisms to protect IP abroad
- Identify potential IP issues when exporting.
- Know where to seek further help and advice
About the IPO
The IPO is the government body responsible for IP rights in the UK, promoting innovation by providing a clear, accessible and widely understood IP system.