Join us online for a day of free talks and practical advice sessions designed to get your business idea off to a flying start.
The British Library is leading a revolution by inspiring a thriving community of new and existing business owners. It’s free to join and open to everyone. And since earlier this year, it has been fully available online.
We are back for 2020 with our biggest day of the year, Start-up Day. Whether you're just starting out, need advice on sales in the current climate, or are ready to take the next step, join us online for our annual day of free business support. Feel free to pick and choose from our jam-packed schedule of inspirational talks and sessions, jump around between the different breakout rooms, find events local to you across the country, or else settle in for the full day.
With our live chat feature, you can continue to talk to fellow attendees, share advice and network. Events are being hosted across the country so this is an opportunity to meet a wider breadth of people than ever before.
You only need to register once to get access to the full day of events. You can then choose which sessions you attend.
Our central programme of talks is:
- 09:45 – 10.30: Getting started with the latest trends in the UK market with Mintel
- 10.45 – 11.30: Getting started with your sales strategy with MODO Creative and The Small Awards
- 11.45 – 12.30: Getting started and seen by your new customers with Stamptastic and The Small Awards
- 13.00 – 13.45: Getting started with your side hustle with The Honest Mum
- 14.00 – 14.45: Getting started with the right mentor with Business Support Helpline and BIPC Ambassador and Entrepreneur in Residence, Julie Deane, founder of the Cambridge Satchel Company
- 15.30 – 16.00: In conversation with Louisa Ziane, co-founder of Toast Ale, interviewed by Paul Lindley, founder of Ella’s Kitchen
- 16.15 - 16.45: In conversation with Irene Agbontaen, founder of TTYA London
All of our central talks will be live captioned to allow as many people as possible to enjoy the event.
Breakout Rooms 1 and 2 – National Network
What’s more, our National Network centres will have supplementary events running throughout the day, including:
- How to start a business that makes a difference hosted by BIPC Manchester and Expert Impact
- Social media for business hosted by BIPC Newcastle
- PRECIOUS conversations: spotlight on women of colour in business hosted by BIPC Sheffield
- A session on upgrading your digital business skills to increase productivity with BIPC Glasgow
- A Start-up Stories panel featuring Endorse HR, Aleafia Wellness Centre, Cosmic and FabLab hosted by BIPC Devon
- A Start-up Stars panel featuring The Women’s Organisation, Sean’s Place and Hashtag Web Designs hosted by BIPC Liverpool
- In conversation with Craig Carr with BIPC Worcestershire
- Bringing new products to market hosted by BIPC Hull
- Building an effective website hosted by BIPC Hull
- Introduction to intellectual property with the BIPC London Reference Team
Breakout Room 3 – Start-ups in London Libraries
There will also be a series of bitesized masterclass sessions, run by the Business Champions in our Start-ups in London Libraries’ boroughs. Subjects covered in these sessions will include:
- How to align passion, purpose and profit when starting a business
- How to write your value proposition
- How to get your head around the numbers
- How to run a successful crowdfunding campaign (and raise £32,000), with SiLL case study Bottle Farm
- How to build an engaging website
- How to measure impact and create an impact report
- How to maintain a work/life balance as an entrepreneur in partnership with MyOutspace
There will also be a chance to hear from some of the Start-ups in London Libraries’ community throughout the day.
Business headshot editing service
We may not be in person but there’s no reason to not be picture perfect. Instead of our regular headshot service, photographer Sam Lane will be on hand to help make your selfies more professional than ever with their editing skills, so that you have the perfect headshot for your LinkedIn profile. We will be sharing more information about how to use this service on the day.
Don’t forget to follow #BIPCStartUpDay across social media to keep updated on what all of our speakers have to say throughout the day.
What else is going on around the Network?
We have a few extra events taking place outside of BIPCTV. These are free events, you just have to sign up in advance.
- BIPC Norfolk networking session
- BIPC Glasgow's The Circular Economy with Glasgow Chamber of Commerce
- BIPC Nottingham's swap shop
- BIPC Brighton & Hove webinars on finding grants with GRANTfinder, starting your business with COBRA and Business plan success using IBISWorld
In partnership with Santander