Discover some of the rarest and most significant stamps from one of the world's greatest collections
Due to the on-going international situation, the British Library is currently closed. Stay connected on our digital channels.
The Philatelic Exhibition of 80,000 items on the upper ground floor offers a unique opportunity to see many great rarities. An associated book, The British Library Treasures in Focus: Stamps, is available from the Shop.
Currently on display are:
- Banknotes from the Crown Agents Philatelic & Security Printing Archive
- The Tapling Collection World to 1890; exhibited are countries A-M (Mauritius) on 2,000 pages (countries M (Mexico) -Z are available to researchers by appointment)
- The Mosely Collection of British Africa to 1935
- The Bojanowicz Collection of Poland 1939 - 1946 stamps and postal history
- The Model Collection of Germany 1945 - 1946 local provisional stamps
- The Harrison Collection of die proofs 1911 -1937, engraved by J.A.C. Harrison
- The Davies Collection of Libyan revenue stamps 1955 - 1969
- The Fitz Gerald Collection of World Airmails to the 1930s (selected pages)
- The Bailey Collection of Spanish Civil War stamps and postal history 1936 - 1939 (selected pages)
- The Turner Collection of Great Britain and Ireland Railway Letter Stamps 1891 - 1940 (selected pages)
- The Langmead Collection of Great Britain and Ireland Telegraph stamps, 1851 - 1881