The traditional publishing route, especially for fiction, generally demands securing a literary agent for your book, but this can often seem like a daunting task and many writers end up taking a very long-winded route, often taking years to secure an agent and often failing to make an informed choice on their publishing options. This webinar, in partnership with the British Library, will give you a clear and informed pathway to finding your very own agent and one step closer to publication.
Melissa Addey has secured three literary agents for her work over the years: for a picture book, a historical novel and a creative writing partnership to write crime. She has also met hundreds of aspiring authors and seen the pitfalls they’ve encountered in trying to find an agent. In this webinar she will talk you through three important areas:
1. A clear guide on how to approach an agent:
- Preparing your application/submission package
- Researching agents that are right for you
- Monitoring submissions and understanding/making use of any feedback you receive
- What to do when an agent shows interest (round 1)
- What to do when an agent shows interest (round 2)
- Choosing an agent and checking your contract
- What comes next: working with your agent
2. No interest? Three proactive ways to keep agent hunting.
3. Educating yourself on your options so you can make an informed publishing choice: an understanding of where the publishing world is right now and how it’s developing, routes that are open to you and pitfalls to look out for.
You will leave inspired and with a clear set of steps to take to approach agents. After the event you will be sent the video playback of the session (so you can book even if you can't make the date), and resource-filled slides from our main talk.
Feedback from previous workshops run by Melissa Addey at the British Library:
- Thank you again for all your insight, encouragement and openness.
- Hard won gems of experience from someone who has actually done it.
- Simply and clearly presented. A really great experience.
- Most enjoyed the practicality. Down to earth realistic attitude.
- Enjoyed the practical hints and tips and the honesty – showing the pros and cons of key issues – thank you!
(We do not take cancellations but if you are unable to attend on the day you will still receive the video playback, slides and eBook by email after the workshop.)
About the speaker
Melissa Addey spent fifteen years in business, developing new products for Sainsbury's Head Office and then mentoring over 500 entrepreneurs for a government innovation grant programme. In 2015 she became a fulltime self-published author and has a PhD in Creative Writing. She has been the Leverhulme Trust Writer in Residence at the British Library and written and published thirteen books, including historical fiction (8), non-fiction and a picture book for children. Her novels have been Editor's Choice at the Historical Novel Society and won the 2019 Novel London Award.
Read more about her at www.melissaaddey.com