Primary teachers! Discover how to use the messy notebooks, drafts & sketches of our best-loved authors to inspire creative writing at school
Join this free online CPD event run by the British Library, with an inspiring workshop from Seven Stories - the National Centre for Children's Books - and a session with superstar poet Joseph Coelho.
Find out how the messy processes used by well-known authors can help you develop fresh ways of writing, drafting and editing in your school.
Perfect for upper Primary teachers and Literacy Leads, the session will offer playful and practical ideas for using writers' jotters and sketches to empower children to create their own work.
You'll learn how to make the most of the wealth of free resources on our Discovering Children's Books website. Highlights include the notebooks and drafts of authors and illustrators from Judith Kerr and Roald Dahl to John Agard, Liz Pichon, David Almond and Zanib Mian.
The CPD event will include:
- News of the British Library's exciting October challenge for children to make and share their own pop-up poetry notebooks on Twitter @BL_Learning #DiscoveringChildrensBooks.
- Access to a whole raft of new, exhilarating content to inspire creativity in your classroom - including videos by fabulous poets Joseph Coelho, Caroline Bird, John Hegley and Ruth Awolola.
- A short, virtual tour of Discovering Children's Books, featuring digitised treasures from the British Library and Seven Stories.
Register now to reserve your free place
- Places are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The session will be run on Zoom, so you'll need a Zoom account and internet access.
- Before the event, we'll send you a link and further details of how to join in.
- If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Discovering Children’s Books Outreach Programme is supported by The Goldsmiths’ Company Charity and The Steel Charitable Trust.