We're gradually reopening to keep everyone safe however, our onsite schools programme remains closed until further notice. We are exploring ways to support schools during this time and will update these pages with further information as plans progress. In the meantime, you can explore a wealth of online learning resources on our website and keep up to date with us on Twitter.
Information on booking procedure, terms and conditions and cancellation fees
This page provides information for school and college groups and sets out our policies on bookings and cancellations. All workshops for schools and colleges are free of charge but must be booked in advance. Please read the details below, including our policy on fees for cancellations and reduced group size, before completing the booking form via the link at the foot of this page.
A full list of our workshops and special events can be found on our Schools and Teachers page.
- Our workshops are booked on request: session times are 10.30, 13.00 and 15.00
- Allow ample time for your visit, arriving 15 minutes before your workshop start time
- Bookings should be made with at least six weeks’ notice, with the exception of self-guided visits and exhibition workshops. We can take bookings up to 6 months ahead of your planned visit date
- We welcome mixed year groups in one session as long as they are within the same Key Stage
- Please note workshop duration is as advertised: it is not possible for sessions to be shortened, or extended
- We request a 1:6 adult-to-learner ratio for participants aged 11 and under, and a 1:10 adult to learner ratio for participants aged 12–18. If you are bringing more than 20 learners, please ensure you have at least two teachers attending with your group, in addition to any other accompanying adults
- If you are booking a self-guided visit, you must ensure all students are accompanied by responsible adults throughout their visit. We reserve the right to cancel your visit if behaviour of a group is deemed unacceptable by British Library Learning staff
- If you have booked a workshop with us, and are thinking about a self-guided exploration of the Library before or after your workshop, please submit a separate booking form for this part of your visit. Please note these bookings are subject to capacity
- Please ensure you enter relevant details of special educational needs, access needs or disabilities on the booking form so we can support your visit. For further details about access at the British Library, please view our page on access for disabled visitors
- We have neck loops and radio receivers suitable for participants with a hearing impairment. To use one of these during your visit, please request it on the booking form
- Lunch space may be booked in advance, subject to availability, for up to 30 learners at a time; lunch slots are 30 minutes in length. You can request the lunch spaces via the booking form. If you are allocated a slot for lunch, please ensure that you adhere to the timings from your booking confirmation as we usually have several groups booked in one after the other. Alternatively, your group may picnic outside on the Piazza
- Please note lockers are not allocated to self-guided groups
- Please view our health and safety information which includes details about writing a risk assessment for a visit to the British Library
- Please contact the Learning Team on +44 (0)20 7412 7797 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions
- The British Library’s address is 96 Euston Road, London, NW1 2DB. For further details, see our information on finding the British Library. If you’re a school in Greater London, you can qualify for free off-peak school group travel with Transport for London
- To find out more about reader registration for under-18s, please visit our Help page
Fee for cancellations and reduced group size
Fee for cancellations and reduced group size for confirmed bookings is as follows:
£90 + VAT per workshop
Full day workshops and study days will be charged at £180 + VAT
The fee will apply if:
- A session is cancelled with fewer than 20 working days’ notice provided. Notice period does NOT include day of cancellation or day of workshop
- The group fails to arrive on the booked date
- Fewer than 10 learners are present on the day of the visit. Our minimum group size is 10 learners
- You have booked in more than 20 learners but 20 or fewer attend. This is because we allocate one Learning Facilitator per 20 learners
- A group arrives more than 30 minutes late
- If a confirmed workshop booking is requested to be moved to a different date, this is deemed to be a cancelled workshop
- Note that if you submitted a booking form with fewer than 20 working days to go until the date of your session, you are subject to the cancellation policy as detailed above
The British Library reserves the right to cancel sessions if:
- A group arrives more than 30 minutes late
- Behaviour of a group is deemed unacceptable by British Library Learning staff
- Ratio of accompanying teachers and responsible adults is lower than our requirements as set out in the booking form
Once you’re ready to book, please complete the booking form. If you are booking more than one workshop, please complete one booking form per session.
We will acknowledge receipt and aim to contact you within two weeks to either confirm your booking or ask for alternative dates.