The British Library’s application window for AHRC Collaborative Doctoral Partnerships (CDP) proposals is now open. The application deadline is 25 November 2016.
AHRC CDPs provide funding for PhD research drawing on our collections, resources and expertise that is co-supervised by the Library and a selected academic partner at a UK university or Higher Education Institute (HEI).
Each year, the Library selects a limited number of strategic research themes around which to develop these partnerships. For CDPs starting in October 2017, the selected research themes are:
- England and France: Manuscripts 700-1200
- Future Pasts: British-Caribbean Popular Culture and the Politics of History, 1948-1998
- Studying migration and diaspora through Russian language publishing
- American Political Pamphlets 1920-1945
Academic partners will be selected in January 2017 through an assessment panel taking account of:
- the development of the research theme by the applicant
- the fit to the proposal of the applicant’s research interests and expertise
- the ability of the HEI to manage co-supervision with the Library, support the student’s training and development needs, and promote research engagement and impact
- the track record of the applicant/the HEI in collaborating with non-HEI partners
Once selected, the HEI academic supervisor may further refine the research topic with the Library supervisor in order for each partner to gain maximum benefit from the collaboration. The successful PhD candidate will contribute to the development of the final agreed research project once recruited.
How to apply
Applicants must be academics of postdoctoral standing based at UK universities or HEIs.
To apply, download and complete the application form and send it via email, along with a 2-page CV, to Research.Development@bl.uk
The British Library expects all applications to have been given the consent of the applicant’s Head of Department.
The application deadline is 17.00 on 25 November 2016.
In addition to AHRC funding for the studentship, the British Library provides financial support to the student for research-related costs of up to £1,000 a year.
We provide our collaborative doctoral students with staff-level access to our collections, expertise and facilities. The students also benefit from the dedicated cohort development programme delivered by the Library in tandem with the other museums, galleries and heritage organisations affiliated to the AHRC CDP scheme.