The British Library’s application window for AHRC Collaborative Doctoral Partnerships (CDP) proposals is now open. The application deadline is 24 November 2017.
AHRC CDPs provide funding for PhD research drawing on our collections, resources or expertise. The research is co-supervised by the Library and selected academic partners at UK universities or Higher Education Institutes (HEIs).
Each year, the Library selects a limited number of strategic research themes around which to develop these partnerships. For CDPs starting in October 2018, the selected research themes are:
- Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots
- Shifting Landscapes: Mapping the Intellectual Writing Traditions of Islamic Southeast Asia
- Sounding off: British local radio and the spoken word
- Open Access and the role of the national library
- Music publishing in the British Isles, 1750-1850
Please note: The British Library has an allocation of 4 studentships from the AHRC for this round of the CDP programme. Consequently, not all of the five themes above will be developed into CDPs. In January 2018 we will select one HEI partner for each of the 4 CDP studentships that we are able to allocate. This will be done through an assessment panel taking account of:
- the development of the research theme by the applicant and how well this complements British Library collections, resources or expertise
- the fit of the proposal to the overarching aims and objectives of the AHRC CDP programme
- the fit of the proposal to the applicant’s research interests and expertise
- the ability of the HEI to manage co-supervision with the Library, support the student’s training and development needs, and promote research engagement and impact
- the track record of the applicant/the HEI in collaborating with non-HEI partners
Once selected, the HEI academic supervisor may further refine the research topic with the Library supervisor in order for each partner to gain maximum benefit from the collaboration. The successful PhD candidate will contribute to the development of the final agreed research project once recruited.
How to apply:
Applicants must be academics of postdoctoral standing based at UK universities or HEIs.
To apply, download and complete the application form and send it via email, along with a 2-page CV, to Research.Development@bl.uk
If your proposal involves joint HEI supervisors, please provide a CV for each supervisor.
The British Library expects all applications to have been given the consent of the applicant’s Head of Department.
The application deadline is 17.00 on 24 November 2017.
In addition to AHRC funding for the studentship, the British Library provides financial support to the student for research-related costs of up to £1,000 a year.
We provide our collaborative doctoral students with staff-level access to our collections, expertise and facilities. The students also benefit from the dedicated cohort development programme delivered by the Library in tandem with the other museums, galleries and heritage organisations affiliated to the AHRC CDP scheme.
Read more about our collaborative PhD programme.
Share this page
Please consider the environment before printing