PhD placements are offered for 3 months full time or, wherever possible, part-time equivalent. A range of projects across the Library's departments and sites is available, as listed below. Where the nature of the project allows it, the option to undertake some or all of the project remotely will be offered.
PhD placement projects for 2023/24
Please click on the project title to download the full project profile.
- The Delhi Persian manuscript collection: enhancing access and exploring content (2023-AA-DP)
- Self-publishing and legal deposit (2023-CB-SPLD)
- Automating the transcription of historical Chinese manuscripts (2023-DR-HTR)
- The Pacific Islands in print: surveying the British Library collections (2023-EA-PIP)
- Women in the British Library Solidarity collection (2023-EA-WCS)
- Improving equality, diversity and inclusion in postgraduate development at the British Library (2023-RD-EDI)
- Social policy contexts in modern archives (2023-RS-SOC)
- Exploring the photographic equipment used by William Henry Fox Talbot (1800-1877) (2023-VA-FT)
- Enhancing access to manuscripts and archives in the French language (2023-WH-FR)
- Preparing for the British Library's Medieval Women Exhibition (2023-WH-MED)
How to apply
Please ensure that you have carefully read the Application Guidelines and the placement project description before completing and submitting the Application Form.
The deadline for this call is: 5pm on Monday 20 February 2023.
Once you have submitted your application, you should receive an auto-reply from us, which will serve as confirmation of receipt. Please ensure you have received this.