- Head of Digital Preservation
- Digital preservation & digital archiving, digital collection management, strategy, policy, authenticity in a digital environment
- Related Offices
- Board Director, Digital Preservation Coalition (DPC); Executive Councillor, BitCurator Consortium; Honorary Teaching Fellow, University of Dundee
Maureen E. Pennock
Senior digital cultural heritage professional with over fifteen years of practical and management experience in digital curation, archiving and preservation initiatives across international cultural heritage and HE sectors.
Maureen has been instrumental in building and developing the Library's Digital Preservation team into a sustainable intra-organisational service whilst directing Library input to external national and international digital preservation initiatives.
She is an active member of the iPres digital preservation conference programme committee, serving also on the organising committee for the 2015 and 2018 conferences. She is Chair of the DPC Sustainability & Governance sub-committee and a regular member of the judging panel for the bi-annual international Digital Preservation Awards.
Prior to joining the Library she worked at the University of Bath and the National Archives of the Netherlands. Maureen holds a BA and an MA, awarded by the University of Kent.
- Maureen Pennock, 'Scaled and automated preservation planning for highly diverse digital collections: the Integrated Preservation Suite', Proceedings of the 15th international conference on digital preservation (iPres) (September 2018).
- Maureen Pennock, 'Preservation Planning for Emerging Formats at the British Library', Proceedings of the 15th international conference on digital preservation (iPres) (September 2018).
- Maureen Pennock, 'Adventures with ePub3: When Rendering goes Wrong', Proceedings of the 15th international conference on digital preservation (iPres) (September 2018).
- Michael Day, Maureen Pennock, Peter May, Kevin Davies, Simon Whibley, Edith Halvarsson, Akiko Kimura, ‘The preservation of disk-based content at the British Library: Lessons from the Flashback project’, Alexandria journal, Sage (Volume: 26 issue: 3) October 2016.
- Maureen Pennock, Caylin Smith, ‘Managing an ISO 16363 Self-Assessment: A How To Guide’, IDCC 2016 Conference Proceedings (February 2016).
- ‘Sustaining the Value: British Library Digital Preservation Strategy, 2017 - 2020’, January 2017.
- Maureen Pennock & Libor Coufal (Eds) ‘Special issue on Digital Preservation’, Alexandria Journal, Sage, (Volume: 27 issue: 2 ) August 2017.
- Maureen Pennock, Michael Day, Akiko Kimura, Ann MacDonald, ‘Identifying Digital Preservation Requirements: Digital Preservation Strategy and Collection Profiling at the British Library’, iPres 2014 Conference Proceedings (October 2014).
- Maureen Pennock, Peter May, Paul Wheatley, ‘Sustainability Assessments at the British Library: Formats, Frameworks & Findings’, iPres 2014 Conference Proceedings (October 2014).
- Maureen Pennock, Paul Wheatley, ‘Supporting Practical Preservation Work and Making it Sustainable with SPRUCE’, iPres 2013 Confere3nce proceedings (September 2013).
- Maureen Pennock, ‘Technology Watch: Web Archiving’, Digital Preservation Coalition, March 2013.
See Maureen's orcid profile for a full list of publications.