- Digital Collections Conservator
- Digital Preservation
Michael is part of the team at the British Library helping to ensure that its digital collections are preserved for future generations. He is particularly interested in promoting a deeper understanding of the Library's diverse and ever-growing digital collections and in developing the necessary knowledge and tools required to support preservation planning and decision making.
Michael first became interested in digital preservation in the late 1980s when he was a postgraduate at Loughborough University. Before joining the British Library in 2013, Michael mainly worked in the UK higher education sector, including seventeen years based at the University of Bath working as a researcher and research manager for UKOLN. While there, Michael worked on a large number of research projects on digital library topics and helped to initiate and develop a portfolio of activities on digital preservation and research data management, including the Digital Curation Centre.
- 'The preservation of disk-based content at the British Library: lessons from the Flashback project,' Alexandria: The Journal of National and International Library and Information Issues, 26(3): 216-234 (2016). DOI: 10.1177/0955749016669775 [with M. Pennock, P. May, K. Davies, S. Whibley, A. Kimura, and E. Halvarsson].
- 'Digital preservation strategy and preservation planning at the British Library,' Cahiers de la Documentation = Bladen voor Documentatie, 2016/3: 5-11 (2016).
- 'Managing and preserving digital collections at the British Library,' in: Managing digital cultural objects: analysis, discovery and retrieval, A. Foster and P. Rafferty, eds. (London: Facet Publishing, 2016): 111-128 [with Maureen Pennock].
- 'Identifying digital preservation requirements: digital preservation strategy and collection profiling at the British Library,' in: iPRES 2014: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Digital Preservation, Melbourne, Australia (2014). DOI: 10.13140/2.1.3918.1122 [with Ann Macdonald, Akiko Kimura, and Maureen Pennock].
- 'Implementing digital preservation strategy: developing content collection profiles at the British Library.' in: Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), London, UK (2014). DOI: 10.1109/JCDL.2014.6970145 [with Ann Macdonald, Akiko Kimura, and Maureen Pennock].
- 'Developing a Community Capability Model Framework for data-intensive research, ' in: iPRES 2012: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Preservation of Digital Objects, Toronto, Canada (2012) [with Liz Lyon, Alexander Ball, and Monica Duke].
- 'Preserving the outputs of scholarly communication for the long-term: a review of recent developments in digital preservation for electronic journal content,' in: E-Journals Access and Management, W. Jones, ed. (New York: Routledge, 2008): 39-64.
- 'Toward distributed infrastructures for digital preservation: the roles of collaboration and trust,' International Journal of Digital Curation, 3(1), 15-28 (2008). DOI: 10.2218/ijdc.v3i1.39
- 'The long-term preservation of Web content,' in: Web archiving, J. Masanès, ed. (Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2006): 177-199. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-540-46332-0_8
- 'Preservation metadata,' in: Metadata applications and management, G. E. Gorman and D. G. Dorner, eds. (London: Facet Publishing, 2004): 253-273.