- Head of Research Services
Areas of responsibility
As a member of the British Library’s Strategic Leadership team, the Head of Research Services is responsible for the contemporary collections and development of our service for researchers and research organisations, onsite and online. He oversees the Library’s content and research services strategies, contemporary acquisitions, processing of content including legal deposit, our approach to the discovery, long-term access and use of content as well as related scholarly infrastructures. Torsten is the Library’s strategic expert for scholarly communications, including open access, research data and alternative publishing models.
The Research Services department includes the following functions:
- Content Acquisition and Licencing: the team responsible for acquisitions, licensing and processing of content including legal deposit
- Digital Preservation: the team that ensures long-term access and use of our digital collection
- Everything Available: the programme office and support function for “Everything Available”, one of the Library’s five strategic business change management portfolios
- Research Infrastructure Services: the team developing the Library’s data, discovery, persistent identifier, repository and scholarly communications services
- Research Services & Content Strategy: the team that develops the Library’s Content Strategy and leads on user research across our research audiences
- Research User Services: the subject librarian team that develops content and services for users across all discipline
Areas of expertise
Torsten’s academic background is in history and digital humanities. He holds a PhD in history from the University of Munich, where he founded pioneering digital humanities and scholarly communication services. Torsten joined the British Library from Imperial College London, where he was responsible for the scholarly communications strategy and development of open access and research data services. Previously he was a programme manager at Jisc, focusing on digital infrastructure for research, and co-ordinator at a national digital research network based at King’s College London.
- AHRC Digital Tranformations theme Advisory Group (2013-18)
- London Open Access Network (founder and co-host)
- RCUK (Research Councils UK) Open Systems Interoperability Group (2014-15)
- RLUK (Research Libraries UK) Digital Scholarship Network
- SCONUL (Society of College, National and University Libraries) Content Strategy Group
- Software Sustainability Institute (fellow)
- Steering Committee of the International Conference for Open Repositories
- University and City Library of Cologne advisory group (chair)
- UUK (Universities UK) Open Access Coordination Group (2016-19)
You can follow Torsten on Twitter.