The British Library’s Season of Sound continues, including a special live show headlined by Benjamin Zephaniah
Today the British Library announces further programming for its third Season of Sound, which will run until December 2019. The British Library holds the nation’s sound archive; an extraordinary collection of nearly 7 million recordings of speech, music, wildlife and the environment, from the 1880s to the present day.
Highlights of the third Season of Sound include:
- A special live show headlined by internationally celebrated poet, writer and activist Benjamin Zephaniah together with his incendiary dub reggae band.
- An appearance by the greatest songwriters in pop history, Motown’s Brian and Eddie Holland.
- A celebration of composer Edward Elgar (1857 – 1934), including a concert of works featured in the British Library’s collection by pianist Iain Farrington, and a day celebrating the life and music of Elgar
- A live hip-hop sampling experience by three extraordinary hip-hop producers, including AWATE, the British Library’s Unlocking Our Sound Heritage Artist in Residence
- Delia Derbyshire Day 2019: celebrating one of the most innovative electronic musicians of the 20th century, including an evening of live and audio visual performance inspired by her work
This events programme supports the Library’s wider work in preserving and sharing the nation’s sound heritage. In 2015 the British Library launched the Save our Sounds programme: addressing the threat to the nation’s sound collection, and connecting people with their audio heritage, by digitising at-risk rare, unique or fragile recordings, as well as delivering online resources and a vibrant programme of activities across the UK in partnership with ten hub organisations through Unlocking Our Sound Heritage.
Save Our Sounds is also investing in new technology to ensure the long-term preservation of published audio recordings and broadcast radio for generations to come, for research, inspiration and enjoyment.
The full season of events is on sale now: www.bl.uk/events/season-of-sound.