Additional 18850, f. 65

(Click on the image for an enlarged view.)

The Bedford Master (fl. in Paris, c. 1405-1435/40) is named after John of Lancaster, duke of Bedford, who was English Regent in France from 1422 to 1435; he owned three of the artist’s major works: this book of hours for Paris use, the Salisbury-Breviary (Paris, Bibliothèque nationale de France, lat. 17294), and a Benedictional (formerly Paris, Hôtel de Ville, destroyed 1871). An early group of manuscripts, attributed to the ‘Bedford Trend’, was also probably executed by this master. Related to his style is that of the Adelphes Master, who is named after his illumination of that part of a Terence Comedies in Paris (Bibliothèque de l’Arsenal, ms. 664). It is now known that the Bedford Master worked together with the Limbourg brothers on their famous Très Riches Heures (Chantilly, Musée Condé, ms. 65). The Bedford Master was perhaps the Alsatian artist, Haincelin of Hagenau, recorded in Paris from 1403 to 1424. The mention of a ‘Jean Haincelin’ between 1438 and 1449 probably refers to his son, who might be the artist called the Dunois Master and responsible for a group of manuscripts in the later Bedford style. The Bedford Hours were probably intended for the dauphin Louis de Guyenne, who would without any doubt have asked his enlumineur and valet de chambre, Haincelin of Hagnau, to undertake such an ambitious task. The Bedford Master and his workshop produced many manuscripts, often richly illuminated. His style was influenced by the Boucicaut and Mazarine Masters, although his compositions are much more crowded. Characteristic are the border medallions with scenes related to the main image. A clear distinction between the master and his workshop is often difficult to make because of the homogenous style and use of common models.  
Close Window