In the early fifth century the theologian, St Augustine of Hippo (b. 354, d. 430) wrote a treatise on the Trinity (De Trinitate), exploring its central importance to the Christian faith. It became an important text for monastic libraries in medieval Europe to own, and this copy, made in England in c. 1125, was in the library of St Germain des Pres, Paris in the 15th century.
It has colourful Romanesque initials, some inhabited by imaginary beasts, at the beginning of major textual divisions. Of particular interest are the many marks and annotations in the margins, added by users of this book for the purpose of identifying important passages, directing readers’ attention, clarifying the text or marking controversial statements.
This manuscript was digitised with the support of The Polonsky Foundation.