This image was taken by Alfred Ellis of the first production (1892) of Oscar Wilde's play Lady Windermere's Fan at St James's Theatre, London. It depicts a scene from Act III. From left to right the sitters are: Sir George Alexander (1858–1918), Henry Hyam Vincent Barnett (1848–1913), James Nutcombe Gould (1849–1899), Adolphus Vane-Tempest (1863–1932) and Benjamin Webster (1864–1947).
- Full title:
- 'Group from "Lady Windermere's Fan"'
- 1 July 1892, London
- Photograph / Image
- Alfred Ellis [photographer], Eglington & Co [photography studio]
- © National Portrait Gallery
- Usage terms
- Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial No Derivatives licence
- Held by
- National Portrait Gallery
- NPG Ax28837
- Article by:
- Andrew Dickson
- Fin de siècle, Popular culture
Andrew Dickson explores some of complexities of Oscar Wilde’s first hit play, Lady Windermere’s Fan.