Agas map showing Blackfriars precinct and its proximity to the Royal Wardrobe

Description

This map, published in 1737, gives a ‘View of London about the Year 1560’. The Blackfriars district can be seen on the north bank of the River Thames, south west of St Paul’s cathedral. Like the theatre district to the south, Blackfriars was a ‘Liberty’, which put it outside the control of the city authorities. The area had a history of theatrical associations prior to Shakespeare’s company beginning to perform there in 1609: it was previously home to the Offices of the Queen’s Revels and two companies of boy players. The Royal Wardrobe was to the east, from which costumes were borrowed.

Full title:
Civitas Londinvm ano dni circiter MDLX / Vertue Soc. Antiq. Lond. excudit 1737.
Published:
1737
Format:
Map / Image
Creator:
Ralph Agas, George Vertue
Usage terms
Public Domain
Held by
British Library
Shelfmark:
Maps Crace Port.1.8.

Full catalogue details

Related articles

Subversive theatre in Renaissance England

Article by:
Eric Rasmussen, Ian DeJong
Themes:
Gender, sexuality, courtship and marriage, Renaissance writers, Power, politics and religion

Eric Rasmussen and Ian De Jong investigate the subversive potential of Renaissance theatre.

Cities in Elizabethan England

Article by:
Liza Picard
Themes:
Shakespeare’s life and world, Elizabethan England

Liza Picard explores the bustling and rapidly-expanding Elizabethan city, shaped by trade, politics and religious upheaval.

Shakespeare's life

Article by:
Andrew Dickson
Theme:
Shakespeare’s life and world

From Stratford to London (and back again), from ‘upstart crow’ to 'wonder of our stage', Andrew Dickson recounts some of the details of William Shakespeare’s life.

Related collection items