This King’s Topographical Collection view shows the seat of the Earl of Gainsborough at Chipping Camden, Gloucestershire. The aerial (or ‘bird’s-eye’) perspective is reminiscent of the work of the Dutch artists Leonard Knyff (1650-1722) and Johannes Kip (b. before 1653-d.1721?). In fact, the presence of faint pencil grid lines on the drawing suggests that it is a copy of an earlier work. The house itself had been destroyed by fire in 1645 during the British Civil Wars. Hughes’ drawing shows the house and its formal gardens, including the ‘Great Garden’, the ‘Great Orchart’, ponds and the long canal to the south. Despite the claim of Bishop Pocock in 1757 that ‘there is not one stone left’ of the house, several of the estate buildings shown in Hughes’ drawing and part of the south front of the house do still survive, and the archaeological remains of the gardens are well preserved.