The initials beginning each saint’s life in this volume are historiated, containing visual synopses of the stories related in the text. Their artistic style, as well as the accompanying script, suggests that the manuscript was produced in the early 12th century at St Augustine’s Abbey in Canterbury.
The Abbey was located east of the Cathedral, and was dedicated to St Augustine (d. 604), the missionary sent by Pope Gregory the Great (d. 604) to convert King Æthelberht of Kent (d. 616?) and his subjects to Christianity. Like the Cathedral, it was an important centre for book production both before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This manuscript was digitised with the support of The Polonsky Foundation.