The Monument, designed by Sir Christopher Wren (1632–1723), is a large Doric column, complete with a viewing platform and an urn of gold and copper flames at its pinnacle. Seen from Fish Hill Street to the west of the Monument, Caius Gabriel Cibber’s large relief sculpture – Allegory of the Great Fire of London – is rendered in detail at the base of the column. In all, the Monument measures 202 feet (61.5 metres), which is also the exact distance that it stands from the spot in Pudding Lane where the Great Fire started in 1666.
- Article by:
- Clare Walcot
- Transforming topography, Town and city
Clare Walcot explores the significance of the London landmarks depicted by William Hogarth in his printed satires on speculative finance