- Antiquarianism (1)
- Art (6)
- Buddhism (1)
- Christianity (1)
- Comedies (2)
- Context (2)
- Deception drama and misunderstanding (1)
- Devotional texts (4)
- Elizabethan England (1)
- Ethnicity and identity (2)
- Gender sexuality courtship and marriage (4)
- Global Shakespeare (1)
- Hinduism (2)
- Histories (2)
- Illuminated texts (1)
- Islam (6)
- Jainism (2)
- Judaism (2)
- Language and ideas (1)
- Language word play and text (1)
- Legacy (1)
- Living Texts (4)
- Magic illusion and the supernatural (1)
- Military and maritime (7)
- Pilgrimage text and place (1)
- Poetry (1)
- Power and politics (7)
- Religion (3)
- Renaissance writers (3)
- Sacred texts (6)
- Satire and humour (1)
- Scholarship (4)
- Science and nature (7)
- The Greek World (5)
- The makers of Greek manuscripts (6)
- Town and city (1)
- Tragedies (4)
- Transforming topography (1)
- Zoroastrianism (1)
- al Qazwīnī, Zakarīyā ibn Muḥammad (1)
- Alcaeus (author) (1)
- Anacreon (author) (1)
- Angelos Bergikios (scribe) (1)
- Aristeas Judaeus (author) (1)
- Athenaeus (author) (1)
- Farīd al Dīn ʻAttar (1)
- George Kokolos (scribe) (1)
- Heron of Alexandria (author) (3)
- Ibycus (author) (1)
- Ioannes Nathanael (scribe) (1)
- Isḥāq ibn Ibrāhīm al Naysābūrī (1)
- Johannes Cuno (scribe) (1)
- John Kladas (composer) (1)
- John Mauromates (scribe) (1)
- Justin Martyr (author) (1)
- Kamāl al Dīn Ḥusayn Gāzurgāhī (1)
- Laonikos Chalkokondyles (author) (1)
- Manuel Chrysaphes (composer) (1)
- Manuel Philes (author) (1)
- Marco Musuro (scribe) (1)
- Margaret Douglas (1)
- Mary Fitzroy (1)
- Mary Shelton (1)
- Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni (1)
- Muḥyī Lārī [Muhyi Al Din Lari] (1)
- Niẓāmī Ganjavī [poet] (1)
- Richard Baines (1)
- Sappho (author) (1)
- Stesichorus (author) (1)
- Stiattesi (Signor) (Maker) (1)
- Thomas Cromwell (1)
- Thomas Kyd (1)
- Unknown (3)
- Zacharias Kalliergis (scribe) (1)
Showing 45 results
The Haram at Mecca with the Kaʻbah in the centre, from a manuscript of Futūḥ al-Ḥaramayn, a poetical description of the...
Held in the Cotton Manuscripts collection, this coloured bird's eye view of “A Castle for the Downs” is most likely to b...
Held in the Cotton Manuscripts collection, this coloured bird's eye view of a “Castle in the Downs” dates from 1539. It ...
A deluxe copy of the Majālis al-ʻushshāq (‘Assemblies of lovers’), a collection of seventy-six biographies of Sufi saint...
These notorious manuscripts appear to support the idea of Christopher Marlowe as the wild boy of Elizabethan literature....
An illustrated copy of the 13th-century writer al-Qazwīnī’s ʻAjāʼib al-makhlūqāt (‘Wonders of creation’) produced in the...
The 15th and 16th centuries saw an outburst of scholarly interest in Greek literature in western Europe. The arrival of...
The 3rd-century CE author Athenaeus is known today for his long work, the Deipnosophistae (‘Dinner Sophists’). This work...
This is a plaster cast of a bust of Brutus by Michelangelo (1475–1564). The original was made after 1539 and is currentl...
The original binding of Additional 28821, a volume containing Byzantine musical texts, is now kept separately, having de...
Part of the Cotton Manuscripts collection, this drawing of a circular keep with curtain wall, embrasures for cannons as ...
The catena, a biblical commentary that proceeds verse by verse, was a popular interpretative tool in the Byzantine world...
Part of the Cotton Manuscript collection, this ink and tempura view depicts Conwy castle in North Wales. It likely dates...
An illustrated palm-leaf manuscript of the Devī Māhātmya, a devotional text in praise of Durgā. Made in Bhaktapur, Nepal...
Ongoing developments in Greek music resulted in the appearance of the ‘kalophonic’ (beautiful-sounding) style of chant. ...